Schools out and it’s time to start looking for a job. Or maybe you’re one of the unfortunate unemployed caught up in our economic downturn. I feel your pain, I’ve been there. Here are two suggestions that I’ve used and know for a fact get results.
Fax your resume to your potential Employer.
These days no one looks at resumes that are sent in via the US Mail. Most companies won’t even look at them unless you go to the site and input your resume into their system. Great, but you’ll be there with 2,000 other folks hunting for a job. Here is a step by step plan.
1. Prepare a GOOD resume. Highlight your RESULTS with quantifiable numbers up front. You have 30 -45 seconds to get the hiring managers attention. Really, that’s all. Then list the companies you worked for. Remember, companies only care what you can DO for them, and they can only tell from past results
2. Put your resume into their online system
3. Find out where their corporate headquarters is and get the fax number. You local library will be a help for this part.
4. Call and ask for the fax number for the department you want to work in. You’ll be surprised how often you’ll get this.
5. Fax your resume with a “to the point” cover letter again telling the employer how you will solve the PROBLEMS you believe THEY face.
6. Follow up with a phone call telling everyone you’re following up on the fax you sent.
The fact of the matter is everyone will delete an email but few people will toss a piece of paper and fewer will toss a Fax. This will work but you need to only send to companies you KNOW something about the problems they face. You also need to do this on a consistent basis. Repetition and persistence will pay off.
Here are two Internet fax companies that offer free 30 day trials so you won’t even spend a penny if it doesn’t work. I will tell you might want to do this for more than 30 days however.
Start a Blog
You will NOT believe how well this works. really. I have a blog for my resume and it simply blows folks away. The fact of the matter is that everyone knows something. Hopefully that something is what you want to get a job doing. Write about it. It extends your resume and moves you up beyond your competition.
Starting a blog is EASY!
You can get a One-Click blog from companies like 1and1.com for as little as a few dollars a month. Chances are your name is even available as the URL. By one click I mean one click. You sign up, pick a domain name, click on setup, choose a style and start putting in your resume.
Better yet write articles on a weekly (or more) basis about your field highlighting your problem solving skills. This will position you as the expert potential employers are looking for. Web hosts like 1and1.com even include tons of free graphics and measurement tools to tell how many people are visiting your site including what companies they are coming from!!!
Want to Stand out? Start your blog today.